Title: Head Start Teacher
Reports To: Center Director
EEO Category: Professional
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Pay Grade: $14.71-$17.00
Job Description Updated: November 2016
Approved By: Human Resources
The Head Start Teacher is responsible for managing a teaching environment by implementing curriculum and developing lesson plans for children 3 to 5. The position reports to the Center Director and operates under general supervision with moderate latitude for the use of independent judgment, discretion and initiative.
Essential Job Duties:
- Design, manage and organize the classroom to create and encourage a positive learning environment;
- Assess and track student developmental progress, enrichment opportunities and daily experiences and provide feedback to parents.
- Coordinate, schedule and complete parent-teacher conferences and individual home visits.
- Follow prescribed curriculum as outlined in content area plans, policies and procedures and curriculum guides.
- Plan, prepare and present daily instructional activities/lesson plans coordinating with co-teacher, Teacher Aide and/or parents/guardians.
- Prepare and implement an individualized curriculum for all children including IEP/IFSP goals.
- Ensure safety in performing all job responsibilities; adhere to all safety policies in alignment with Head Start/Day Care licensing standards.
- Maintain clean and safe work area in the classroom and playground areas.
- Ensure reports and subsequent documentation is submitted within appropriate timeframes for incident/accidents, ensure daily health checks are completed for students.
- Manage and coordinate volunteer activities for the classroom ensuring appropriate background checks have been completed.
- Encourage parents to complete required physical, dental and health screen offerings in a timely manner.
- Maintain appropriate records of classroom activities and child development.
- Manage student behavior in the classroom in alignment with prescribed policies and procedures.
- Work with Center Director and Program Coordinators to ensure classroom initiatives and curriculum are being met securing appropriate approvals prior to delivery.
- Maintain and protect confidential information pertaining to staff, students and families.
- Schedule and organize time and materials to effectively manage classroom, attend meetings and complete required reports/documentation.
- Ensure that activities from all content areas are integrated into the classroom.
- Complete child observations; retaining reports/documentation on a weekly basis or as instructed by supervisor.
- Assist with custodial duties in classroom and Head Start Center.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to operate various word-processing software, spreadsheets, and database programs.
- Ability to work effectively with others.
- Ability to assess the health and behaviors of children by sight and sound.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service to internal and external customers.
- Ability to ensure compliance with regulatory agency requirements and policies.
- Ability to organize, prioritize and utilize effective time management techniques.
- Ability to respect confidentiality at all times.
- Ability to carry out multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Ability to follow instructions furnished in verbal or written format.
Education and Trainings:
- Bachelor’s degree in Childhood Development/Early Childhood Education or related field of study, including six or more courses in Early Childhood Education and/or Child Development. Six years of Childhood Development Experience may be substituted in lieu of a bachelor’s degree or a combination of an Associate’s Degree in Childhood Development/Early Childhood education and four years of related experience.
- Valid Texas driver’s license.
- Obtain and keep current Adult and Pediatric CPR and First Aid certifications
Mental / Physical Tasks (F= Frequent, O=Occasional, R=Rarely):
Using personal computer
Moving heavy equipment
Using office equipment, stapler, telephone, etc.
- Working in a fast paced environment with priorities and plans that may change rapidly.
- Working on weekends, evenings and some holiday may be required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Opportunities for Williamson and Burnet Counties
Opportunities for Williamson and Burnet Counties
Opportunities for Williamson & Burnet Counties was established in 1965 as the area’s official Community Action Agency. Opportunities is a private, non-profit corporation governed by a board of directors composed of community leaders, elected officials and target area representatives. Throughout its history, Opportunities has administered a wide range of social service and economic opportunity programs benefiting many. Opportunities for Williamson & Burnet Counties has an annual operating budget of over $12 million and a staff of more than 200.
Opportunities serves thousands of people annually in both counties. Working cooperatively with other agencies, it is an advocate for those who might not otherwise have a voice in the community in which they live. The Board and staff are dedicated to providing services to help those in need achieve a better, more productive life.
Mission for Opportunities for Williamson & Burnet Counties
To make our communities stronger by empowering children, families and seniors to achieve independence and improved quality of life.
Vision for Opportunities for Williamson & Burnet Counties
A healthy, educated community in which all people live independently and with dignity.
BENEFITS WE OFFER:
- PAID TIME OFF: UP TO THREE WEEKS
- PAID HOLIDAYS: UP TO 11 PER YEAR
- EMPLOYER MATCHING RETIREMENT
- EMPLOYER SPONSORED HEALTH CARE
- SHORT AND LONG TERM DISABILITY
- LIFE INSURANCE
OWBC provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OWBC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
Company Website: www.owcb-tx.org
(if you already have a resume on Indeed)