Title: Lead Cook
Reports To: Site Manager or Center Director
EEO Category: Service Worker
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Pay Grade: $12-14/hour
Job Description Updated: June 2016
Approved By: Human Resources
The Cook is responsible for overall management and maintenance of meal preparation. The position reports to the Site Manager and/or Center Director and operates under significant supervision with limited latitude for the use of independent judgment, discretion and initiative.
Essential Job Duties:
- Coordinate the ordering of food for meal preparation.
- Prepare, plan and post menus.
- Organize the kitchen including general cleaning/ custodial issues.
- Organize and track kitchen inventory.
- Adhere to all WBC Opportunities, Head Start, Meals on Wheels and all food services regulatory agencies policies & procedures.
- Coordinate the work of volunteers for kitchen assistance and meal delivery.
- Follow menus and standard recipes; prepare meals according to sanitation standards.
- Adhere to WBCO, (Head Start or Meals on Wheels) and regulatory agencies policies and procedures regarding menu substitution, food storage and leftovers.
- Ensure all food (perishable and non-perishable) and leftovers are label, dated and properly stored.
- Ensure refrigerator and freezer cleaned, defrosted, temperatures recorded daily.
- Prepare food for transportation to other congregate serving sites and/or to participants’ homes.
- Maintain records for child care food reporting requirements (MOW/Head Start).
- Ensure the confidentiality of information pertaining to program participants, staff, students and families.
- May be required to deliver meals and prepare route books.
- Provide general office assistance such as answering phones, copies, faxes, greeting clients and volunteers.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to operate various word-processing software, spreadsheets, and database programs.
- Ability to operate a kitchen, order food, read and follow recipes.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service to internal and external customers.
- Ability to ensure compliance with regulatory agency requirements and policies.
- Ability to organize, prioritize and utilize effective time management techniques.
- Ability to respect confidentiality at all times.
- Ability to carry out multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Ability to follow instructions furnished in verbal or written format.
Education and Trainings:
- High school diploma or GED.
- One year of experience in food service.
- Valid Texas driver’s license.
- Food Handler Certification.
- Obtain and keep current Adult and Pediatric CPR and First Aid certifications.
Mental / Physical Tasks (F= Frequent, O=Occasional, R=Rarely):
Using personal computer
Moving heavy equipment
Using office equipment, stapler, telephone, etc.
- Working in a fast paced environment with priorities and plans that may change rapidly.
- Working on weekends, evenings and some holiday may be required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Opportunities for Williamson and Burnet Counties
Opportunities for Williamson and Burnet Counties
Opportunities for Williamson & Burnet Counties was established in 1965 as the area’s official Community Action Agency. Opportunities is a private, non-profit corporation governed by a board of directors composed of community leaders, elected officials and target area representatives. Throughout its history, Opportunities has administered a wide range of social service and economic opportunity programs benefiting many. Opportunities for Williamson & Burnet Counties has an annual operating budget of over $12 million and a staff of more than 200.
Opportunities serves thousands of people annually in both counties. Working cooperatively with other agencies, it is an advocate for those who might not otherwise have a voice in the community in which they live. The Board and staff are dedicated to providing services to help those in need achieve a better, more productive life.
Mission for Opportunities for Williamson & Burnet Counties
To make our communities stronger by empowering children, families and seniors to achieve independence and improved quality of life.
Vision for Opportunities for Williamson & Burnet Counties
A healthy, educated community in which all people live independently and with dignity.
BENEFITS WE OFFER:
- PAID TIME OFF: UP TO THREE WEEKS
- PAID HOLIDAYS: UP TO 11 PER YEAR
- EMPLOYER MATCHING RETIREMENT
- EMPLOYER SPONSORED HEALTH CARE
- SHORT AND LONG TERM DISABILITY
- LIFE INSURANCE
OWBC provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OWBC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
Company Website: www.owcb-tx.org
(if you already have a resume on Indeed)